On Jan 1, 2020, at 13:23, Random832 <random...@fastmail.com> wrote:

> Neither of these constructs seems to be particularly useful outside the other
> one,

Yes, and you already quoted me as saying that.

> which suggests to me they should not be orthogonal in the way you have
> proposed. Is there a good reason for wanting them to be, or do you just see
> that as the best way to get a nice looking syntax?

What I’m trying to do is get a nice looking syntax *with the smallest possible
set of changes*. And I think these are candidates for that set.

I’m not actually proposing either or both at this point. Because the nice
looking syntax may turn out not to work, or the syntax may not be nice enough,
or whatever, but I’m only going to discover that by trying and then sharing the
result.

But the other worry is that, no matter how nice it works out, if the small
changes are themselves unacceptable it won’t matter. And that’s what I think
other people can point out in advance.

If the only problem with “if try” is that it has no compelling use on its own,
that’s fine for now. But if, say, it’s syntactically ambiguous, or reads
confusing to humans in even some reasonable-seeming case, or the try-expression
PEP is up for reconsideration and incompatible with it, etc., that’s *not*
fine; anything I build that requires “if try” will not be acceptable, so it’s
not worth exploring further.