On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 08:55:47PM -0700, Andrew Barnert wrote:
[...]
> But I don’t think that’s relevant here. You claimed that 'the
> "arbitrary iterables" part is a distraction', but I think it’s
> actually the whole point of the proposal. The initial suggestion is
> that there are lots of iterables that are both a subset and a superset
> of some set, and only the ones that are sets are equal to the set, and
> not having a way to test for the ones that aren’t sets is the “missing
> functionality” that needs to be added for completeness.

Well I'm glad that you got that out of Steve's posts, because I didn't
:-)

Assuming you are correct, isn't that easily done with a type conversion?

    A == set(B)

We might argue about the inefficiency of having to build a set only to
throw it away, but given that there's no real use-case for this (so
far), only a sense of completeness, it might be good enough. Or one
could do:

    A.issubset(B) and A.issuperset(B)

assuming B isn't an iterator.

> As far as I can tell, they’re just trying to add a method isequivalent
> or iscoextensive or whatever that extends beyond == to handle non-set
> iterables in the exact same way issubset and issuperset extend beyond
> <= and >= to handle non-set iterables.

If it were a method, set.equals() is the obvious name, since that's what
it is actually testing for: set equality, without the conversion to a
set.

--
Steven