On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 02:05:49PM +0000, Rob Cliffe via Python-ideas wrote:

> True
> True
>
> but it would be misleading IMO to say that s and t are in some sense
> equal.

In *some* sense they are equal:

- every element in s is also in t;
- every element in t is also in s;
- no element in s is not in t;
- no element in t is not in s;
- modulo uniqueness, both s and t have the same elements;
- converting t to a set gives {'a'} which is equal to s.

I don't know that this is an *important* sense, but the OP Steve J isn't
wrong to notice it.

I shouldn't need to say this, but for the record I am not proposing and
do not want set equality to support lists; nor do I see the need for a
new method to perform "equivalent to equality" tests; but if the
consensus is that sets should have that method, I would prefer it to be
given the simpler name:

    set.superset  # not .equivalent_to_superset
    set.subset    # not .equivalent_to_subset
    set.equals    # not some variation of .equivalent_to_equals

--
Steven