On 5/10/20 3:09 AM, Steve Barnes wrote:
Change the error message “SyntaxError: invalid character in identifier” to include which character and it’s Unicode value so that it becomes  “SyntaxError: invalid character 0x201c “  in identifier” – this is almost certainly the easiest change and fits well with explicit is better than implicit but still leaves it to the user to correct the erroneous input (which could be argued is both good and bad).

Or change it to, "SyntaxError, only plain quotes can be used: you have 0x201c which is a fancy quote" (or something).  We have a specific SyntaxError message for print-without-parens, we should be able to do this also.

--Ned.