I wonder if The Fuck could be customize to handle these improved error
messages envisioned: https://github.com/nvbn/thefuck

It's a lovely tool.  I don't mind the minor profanity, but when I teach I
add an alias of 'fix' for students to see instead.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 5:34 PM Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 1:17 PM Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas <
> python-ideas@python.org> wrote:
>
>> (By the way, the reason I used -f rather than —fix is that I can’t figure
>> out how to get the iPhone Mail.app to not replace double hyphens with an
>> em-dash, or even how to fix it when it does. All of the other fancifier
>> stuff can be worked around pretty easily, but apparently not that one…)
>>

> Totally OT -- but just the other day, I was using a Google Sheets, and it
> kept converting "4, 5, 6" or "4-5-6"  into a date. I could NOT figure out
> how to turn it off -- infuriating!
>
> Back OT: The fact that there are many ways that our text may get mangled
> in other systems does not mean Python should tolerate ambiguity.
>
> Having a "tabnanny-like" function / module in the stdlib would be nice,
> though I'd think a stand alone module in PyPi would be almost as good, and
> a good way to see if it gains traction.
>
> BTW -- there are a whole lot of Syntax Errors that a semi smart algorithm
> could provide meaningful suggestions about about. I'm pretty sure that's
> come up before on this list, but maybe  "helpful" mode you could run Python
> in that would do that for all Syntax errors that it could. We could even
> have a way for folks to extend it with additional checks.
>
> Kind of like how git makes suggestions if you type something almost like a
> command.
>
> -CHB
>
> --
> Christopher Barker, PhD
>
> Python Language Consulting
>   - Teaching
>   - Scientific Software Development
>   - Desktop GUI and Web Development
>   - wxPython, numpy, scipy, Cython
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/DHC3CVB3ENPTLSZLZD2LH6LMTRJOOTMN/

The dead increasingly dominate and strangle both the living and the
not-yet born.  Vampiric capital and undead corporate persons abuse
the lives and control the thoughts of homo faber. Ideas, once born,
become abortifacients against new conceptions.