On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 3:01 PM Stefano Borini <stefano.bor...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Maybe I should open a new PEP?

I"ll let teh PEP editors decide, but it look slike it was "rejected"m with
this comment:

"The idea never seemed to gain any traction over its near 5 years in
existence as a PEP."

So I'd think re-opening it would be fine -- rather than clutter up the PEP
namespace...

Maybe we could use a "suspended" status for PEPs?

-CHB

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 at 14:26, Jonathan Fine <jfine2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thank you all for your posts. I'm busy now and for the next few days, so
> have little time to respond. Here's some comments and suggestions.
> >
> > I hope that Andras, Caleb, Stefano, Neil, Joao Bueno, Todd and Stephan
> will take a special interest in this post. In the previous thread, these
> people saw that the proposed new syntax
> >     d[1, 2, a=3, b=4]
> > would bring benefits to their own particular use of Python. (Apologies
> for any omitted names or misunderstanding of posts).
> >
> > I hope the package kwkey shows that it is possible now to write
> >     from kwkey import o
> >     d[o(1, 2, a=3, b=4)]
> > as a workable present day substitute for the proposed syntax
> >     d[1, 2, a=3, b=4]
> >
> > I think using this can safely go ahead, even though there may be
> disagreements on the meaning of 'o' and the implementation of classes that
> take advantage of the new syntax. Indeed, I think going ahead now will
> contribute to understanding and resolving the disagreements, by creating a
> shared experience.
> >
> > I suggest that those who previously suggested uses for the proposed
> syntax now implement some examples. (I give a list below.) They can do this
> using my API, Steven's API, or any other API. Or indeed now, using the
> return value of 'o' directly.
> >
> > I've started this process with a toy example:
> >
> https://github.com/jfine2358/python-kwkey/blob/master/kwkey/example_jfine.py
> >
> > Here are three aspects to the proposed syntax. They are all important,
> and good design will balance between the various parts and interests.
> >
> > First, ordinary programmers, who perhaps want
> >     d[1, 2]
> >     d[x=1, y=2]
> >     d[1, y=2]
> >     d[y=2, x=1]
> > to all be equivalent, for d a mapping of whose domain is points in the
> x-y plane. More complicated examples might be found in function annotations
> (Andras Tantos, Caleb Donovick), quantum chemistry (Stefano Borini),
> networkx (Neil Girdhar), numpy and pandas (Joao Bueno), xarrary (Todd,
> Stephan Hoyer).
> >
> > Second, there are those who implement classes that make use of the
> proposed syntax.
> >
> > Third, there are those who implement the extension of Python that allows
> >     d[o(1, 2, a=3, b=4)]
> > to be replaced by
> >     d[1, 2, 3, 4]
> >
> > I suggest that those who see benefits in feature produce experimental
> implementations via kwkey, just as I did in my kwkey.example_jfine. It is
> possible to do this now, and so have benefits now, in a way that is
> reasonably future proof regarding implementation of the proposed new syntax.
> >
> > If you're a user of kwkey, I will have some time available to help you
> if you want it.
> >
> > I hope this helps some, and harms none.
> > --
> > Jonathan

> [...]