(bringing this back on list)

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 10:29 AM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 1:22 AM Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > But no one is stopping anyone from writing anything they want.  iI may
> not be a “PEP”, but it’s a good idea to write a document that makes it
> clear what your idea is. And it’s also a good idea for that document to
> look something like a PEP.
> >
> > Sometimes one ca. Get a sponsor with a quick one sentence description—
> but if it’s a complex idea, it need more than that.
> >

> Perhaps. But by the time there's been a thread this long, it's usually
> fairly obvious whether there's a plausible sponsor, or if you need to
> go hunting one down. The thread *itself* is that document.

kind of -- but as this one illustrates, there are multiple versions of the
idea, and I know I can't figure out exactly what I might or might not
support.

Particularly with the possibility of "competing PEPs" -- if someone has a
clear alternative idea, then they're a lot more likely to get support (or
clear lack of support) if they write it down clearly in one document.

for example, I notice the Guido has been quiet on this thread for a while
-- I expect he's waiting for it to settle down. Maybe he's already made up
his mind about it, but if you want him, or anyone else, to consider
something new, you'll need to do something more confinded than point them
to a massive thread on this list.

The fact is that it takes a LOT of work to get a vague idea to a clear
proposal, and to get anything like consensus on that.

Many good ideas die here due to no no one doing that work.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD

Python Language Consulting