On Fri, Apr 8, 2022, 2:40 AM Stephen J. Turnbull <stephenjturnb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  > > you have shown nothing to justify why unit support must be built
>  > > into the language itself.
>  >
>  > I did what I could, but I'm not going to try and justify any more.
>
> That makes me sad, because everybody in the thread acknowledges that
> improving the Python distribution's support for units is a good idea,
> but nobody is as enthusiastic about getting it done as you.
>
> Chris Barker's comments about multiple attractive library
> implementations are well-taken, I think, but I also think that with
> more focus on getting a satisfactory module into the stdlib, it would
> be quite possible to pick one that doesn't rely on non-stdlib types
> (so I guess astropy.units would be out).
>
> That doesn't directly get you the literal syntax for units you focus
> on, but if units are easier to use, more applications will use them,
> and perhaps build up momentum for a syntax change.  And the syntax
> change is useless without the library.

I'll try to provide examples of my struggles with units in python but I'm
not an accomplished coder at all and don't have much to look at in the way
of examples. I sometimes go weeks without writing any code at all, followed
by days of nothing but writing code.

Python is so painful to use for units I've actually avoided it, so there
won't be many examples I can give anyway. Hence my silence in this thread
the past few days.

I just get really excited at the idea of it being native to the language
and am dreaming of being able to use it more often for my every day
calculations. Right now I just don't feel confident I can.