Ethan Furman writes:
 > On 4/10/22 21:33, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 >
 > > I guess you could call the associative law of multiplication "dumb
 > > luck", but most mathematicians will consider that hate speech.
 >
 > My apologies for not understanding your example.  The counter
 > example I had in my head, and should have written down,
 > was something like:
 >
 >    15mpg * 7l == how many miles?

Now it's my turn to not understand the point of this example.

Are you arguing Chris A's point that in some applications you want
those conversions done automagically[1], and in other applications you
want to get a YouSureYouMeanThatBoss? Exception[2]. :-)

Footnotes:
[1]  American you just bought a car in Detroit MI and it still has the
EPA sticker "15mpg" on the window, and now you're in Windsor ON (Canada)
looking at the cost of the 7l you put in and wondering if you can get
back home to Ann Arbor MI on that.

[2]  Building a Mars lander for NASA.