On 2023-07-02 06:59, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2023 at 15:48, Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com> wrote:
Only re (the one in the stdlib)? What if you want PCREs -
there's no package called "pcre" but there's "pcre2", "python-pcre",
and probably others.

And are those three (and others?) actually useful maintained packages? Or
someone's abandoned experiment?  Who the heck knows without digging into each
one?

I would hope that if the maintainer knew that the package was on the curated list, they would let the list know if they were going to stop maintaining it. That would be part of being on the list - informing the list's maintainers of any significant change of status.

Would you know that even if they were on some official curated list?
Projects get abandoned at any time, and unless the curators are
constantly checking every package for currency, it's no different -
except that people will expect it to be different.

NOTE: I did a (very) quick google to see if someone had written a blog about
PCREs in Python that might provide some guidance -- no luck. I like your
decentralized blog idea, but I'm not sure how to get people to write them :-)

Indeed. But I expect it'd be easier to get one person to write one
blog post about their favourite packages than to create some sort of
comprehensive list of everything that's good :)