On 07/16/18 03:26, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

But the thing is, that complexity is *inherent in the domain*. You can
try to deal with it without Unicode, and as soon as you have users
expecting to use more than one code page, you're doomed.

No, I'm not doomed, because there *are* no other users.  Never will be.  I thought I made that clear.

Many programming tasks do not go beyond the machine they were written on.

You seem to think I'm trying to rid the world of Unicode - I've stressed that I'm not.

I just think that a language should allow one to bypass Unicode handling easily *when it's not needed*.

-Jim