On Wed, 21 Aug 2024 22:15:37 +0100, Daniel wrote:

> Lesser used protocols not known by many in the mainstream. Such as:
>
> gopher, gemini, finger, spartan, titan, etc.
>
> An example of use, here's a weather service tied to a finger. Put your
> city name as the user. This isn't mine, but it is inspiring. Example:
>
> finger mi...@graph.no
>
> For all options, go to the help finger:
>
> finger h...@graph.no

Thanks. Interesting. I was surprised a Norwegian site would have data for
a small city in the US. I have a Python script that accesses the NOAA
(National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) API and the data in the
Meteogram appears to match well. fwiw, all that does is

   observation_url = f"https://api.weather.gov/stations/K{grid_id}/
observations/latest"
    response = requests.get(observation_url).json()

using the Python 'requests' package and then parsing out the JSON.
Implementing finger probably would be a straight socket connection. I
don't know how useful this is:

https://pypi.org/project/pyfinger/

I assume gopher is fron the archie, veronica, and jughead days. It appears
straightforward.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1436

It's another use of a simple socket connection.

https://docs.python.org/3/howto/sockets.html

You may be able to gleam something from

https://sr.ht/~lioploum/offpunk/