On Fri, 23 Aug 2024 08:36:02 +1200, dn wrote:

> On 23/08/24 07:49, rbowman via Python-list wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Aug 2024 10:40:52 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:
>>
>>> The Pico uses MicroPython which is stuck on an old version of Python,
>>> unfortunately.
>
> How did this enter the conversation/thread?
>
> Paul's 'contribution' does not even appear on the Archive...

I'm probably guilty. I mentioned in passing the older protocols like
finger could even be implemented on something like the Pico W with
MicroPython.

I am confused by the cross-over to Python-list. I only read/post to
comp.lang.python. Is that echoed to Python-list or vice versa?

>> I haven't worked with CircuitPython lately and don't know if it has
>> pulled in later features.
>
> Have you (gentle reader) used both and feel able to offer a comparison -
> when to prefer one over the other?

I've only used CircuitPython on the Adafruit Playground Express.

https://circuitpython.org/board/circuitplayground_express/

and MicroPython on the Pico W. Since then Adafruit has expanded their
collection of boards and support them with CircuitPython.

One difference that makes them hard to compare is the Express has quite a
few on-board sensors like the Arduino Nano Sense 33, and interfaces to
them are baked into CircuitPython.

The Pico W has a wealth of I/O most doubling as I2C, PWM, or A/D with only
a onboard LED for the mandatory 'hello world' blink code. MicroPython is
more generic and you may have to import modules for specific external
devices like the SSD1306 OLED display. That's easily done with Thonny or
pipkin.

As far as core Python I'd say they're similar. MicroPython is more generic
and may require more work to set up where Adafruit can match the boards
they have developed.

As I said it's been a while but MicroPython has the _threading module so
you can utilize both cores of the RP2040. Adafruit's new Feather has a
RP2040 and like the Pico W assumes you'll be using the PIO to externals
rather than anything onboard so CircuitPython probably has it.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4884

>From the horse's mouth:

"There is great C/C++ support, unofficial (but really good) Arduino
support, an official MicroPython port, and a CircuitPython port! We of
course recommend CircuitPython because we think it's the easiest way to
get started and it has support with most of our drivers, displays,
sensors, and more, supported out of the box so you can follow along with
our CircuitPython projects and tutorials."

I don't know if Adafruit has a RP2350 board yet but they say CircuitPython
will be even happier on the Pico 2.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/6006

For better or worse there are a lot more choices now than fiddling around
with the Arduino Uno back in the day.