2008/8/5, Alexandre Delattre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Now... Do I need the Tkinter pack to use ppygui? I did not find any
> > reference to that, and I am eager to trim down the Python
> > distribution.
>
>  No, ppygui has no external dependence besides PythonCE and the system dlls
> that comes out of the box on wince devices. A byte-code only distribution of
> ppygui is around 250 kB.
  That is nice to know. Since these devices rarely have much available
space wasting 2 MB on TCL is not something I'm looking forward to.
With tinkering I can have up to 80 MB of available disk space, but I'd
like to keep it low-size.

> > Hmm... I wonder if I could be converted into a Python Head.
>
>  You mean a python egg ?
  No :).
  I meant Myself (from Java Head into a Python Head).
  Although this was a nice shot :)

>  Also, I remember from the time I played with evc++ that PythonCE is
> targeted for armv4 processors. From what I read XScale is armv5 but is
> supposed to be backward compatible with armv4.
  This is what I read around the network.

>  Maybe the .cab installer check the processor type id without taking into
> account backward-compatibility stuff ?
  I agree. This seems a most-likely reason.

>  I think you don't have to hurry on recompilation yet if you're able to make
> work what you need for your project. Also I'm afraid only Visual Studio 2005
> allow to compile for armv5, in case you really want to recompile something
> optimized for your architecture.
  Actually I would want the opposite: a VM that would work on many
devices rather than a VM that would work on only one type of device a
bit better. Pardon the terminology, I still look at the Python frame
through my Java experience.

  We are targeting a Client-Server architecture, where the server does
most of the job, and the client is used as a 'Screen and Keyboard
Terminal' without putting much resource pressure on it.

  I was actually wondering if there is a way to build a new CAB file
with only the Processor Type changed (no re-compilation). However I
lack the tools to do so.

>  Alexandre

  P.S. I will be off the subject for a while. I need to focus back to
the server side. My device was also put to real use, and I will have
no test bed for a week or so.