> And- I want to update the default python that came om my macbook pro to 2.7.
> Should I do install that from Python.org?

I personally think that this would be the simplest solution - but other
distributions do have their virtues and proponents. For example, Enthought
takes the pain out of maintaining a good numpy / matplotlib installation and I
find Activestate make building for distribution a pleasure.

For now, stick with the python.org and then switching at any point is always
simple - the folks here are always friendly and full of advice!

Happy coding,

Dan

Daniel O'Donovan
dan.odono...@gmail.com