On 17/01/2011 22:41, Tony Cappellini wrote:
I do want 2.7 because it's a requirement at work.
I want to have the same versions & packages to avoid compatibility issues.

I can put Python2.7 in a different directory and leave 2.6 there but I
want the 2.7 installation
to be the default one.

For the purposes you actually mean, the python.org install does become the default one -- you can install it so that it comes earlier on your path (and I believe even this step is automated). In this case, all packages installed at the command line (or by binary installers) are in place for this build. I have not found an advantage to the fink or macports installs in the last few versions of Python versions.

But it's crucial to leave the Apple-installed build exactly where it is, as it is used by the system.

Andrew