Mailing lists, like forums, have advantages and disadvantages. My own
issues with mailing lists are:

- Some folks have the misfortune of using rubbish mail clients (aka Lotus
Notes) and so we have no threading etc.
- This email is going to however many thousand people, but 95%+ will have
no interest in it.

In the case of Forums or StakeExchange or Google Groups, users only see
what they have an interest in, rather than being forced to wade through
everything.

Fundamentally I'm with Bernd though: The issue isn't so much which method
is used to get support, the biggest problem is that its scattered across a
dozen different methods and there's no easy way to search between them
all. No central portal with a decent search and knowledgebase which allows
a user to easily find the answer to a question that has been asked before.

For myself I'll do a web-search and if the answer doesn't come up, I'll
have to ask the community. Things like Facebook and twitter won't turn up
in the results. Some forums do, and some mailing lists do (via nabble) but
its hit and miss. Tickets don't turn up usually (search engines don't seem
to like tickets) but stack overflow does. Of course, searching only works
when you know what you're searching for so this is best for non-new users
who know much of the terminology.

Jonathan