On Wednesday 28 November 2007 8:00 pm, you wrote:
> You need to set the default projection (projector icon at lower right)
> to be the same as your aerial photo and check "Enable on the fly
> projection" (top of default projection dialog). Then open your vector
> road layer.

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, setting the default projection to that of the aerial photo has
been difficult because the photo is in 3TM projection (Alberta's very own
projection that, I think is based on, or is similar to, Canada's 3 degree UTM
projection...I'm still trying to wrap my head around this). I built the
aerial photo from a mosaic of slides from here:
http://gis.lethbridge.ca/website/LethWebMAP/viewer.htm
If you click on the map with the xy tool, you'll see 3TM Northing and Easting
data.

Since I do not know how to georeference the photo using 3TM coordinates
because as far as I can see neither QGIS or GRASS has a 3TM projection
option, I thought I would georeference the photo to UTM instead.

Here's what I did:

I opened a "roads" shape file of the same area and wrote down the UTM
coordinates of eight locations. Then I used the georeferencer plugin to
reference these eight locations on the photo.

Then when I open the raster layer of the photo and add the vector layer on
top, the photo is off (it needs to rotate clockwise just a bit) . If I check
the coordinates on the raster layer, they are not the same as what I entered
during the georeferencing step. For example an intersection in the upper
right of the photo was referenced as:
x=368635.635, y=5513144.723

but when I open the photo as a raster layer and check that location I see
it's:
x=368583.800, y=5513186.800

Perhaps I did something wrong when I georeferenced the photo? Thanks.

--
Peter Pankonin, digitalcrucible

There are 10 kinds of people in the world,