Dilwyn Jones wrote:
QPC is a CPU cycle hog, but it seems to share with other programs

willingly

enough. The only thing that slows QPC to a crawl on my system is the Epson
printer driver: When I print from Word or other PC programs, QPC is
unusable.

The Epson printer driver does tend to swamp other applications, but that's a general issue. This problem of mine is limited to QPC2 and Word.

If I use another PC program to do pretty much the same thing alongside Word,
the problem doesn't occur. Nor does it with QemuLator demo, which is the
really interesting part, since QemuLator demo is speed restricted anyway so
you'd expect it to be unusable but theres no perceptible change!

Disable all background operation in Word/Option: in particular repaginate, saving, printing... And of course, disable the Find Fast hungry process.
That may help a little.