Dilwyn Jones wrote:
> Before I pester Marcel with this one,

Hehe, appreciated ;-)

> Using QPC2 v3.12 and M$ Word 97, QPC2 slows down to a crawl, to the extent
> that even mouse pointer movement on screen is jerky, unzipping a file takes
> minutes rather than seconds, scrolling through text in quill or anything
> else is unusable.

To my knowledge Word is a real resource hog, not only in terms of
memory but also in terms of CPU consumption. Even when not used at all
it usually takes all CPU cycles it can get. QPC has a reason to do
this, Word has not. Weird program.

I've read that you have now played around with the priority settings,
which on Win9x is probably the only thing you can do. If this is set
to low QPC doesn't get enough CPU cycles and basically everything
stops.

NT/2000/XP users can also change the task priority (the one in the QPC
config is the "emulation thread priority" which is a bit different)
through the task manager. In your example I would not increase QPC's
priority but decrease Word's priority, because QPC behaves better
(especially with "power management" turned on). But with Win9x you
can't do that anyway.

Marcel