In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dilwyn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Well I am not so sure that QDT would be right if it weren't preinstalled. Moreover, I have found SMSQ/e 3.07 to be extremely unstable on the Q40 and Q60 and QDT doesn't work that well with older versions of (stabler) SMSQ/e. QDT is a very complex piece of software engineering (kudos to Jim of course) and as such is sometimes more difficult to tune than X-Windows. For a novice I am not so sure that it would be suitable at least not right away... maybe something like Launchpad...

Launchpad is less ambitious a project than QDT but you'd be amazed how many people have managed to make a total mess of it. I went as far as to supply it deliberately misconfigured so that people would have to read the instructions as I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to use it without instructions (Launchpad doesn't work when you get it unless you read how to configure it).

Umm ... I know what you are implying here. Yet probably not a good approach to take as you really want people to be able to use it as readily as possible, with a few problems as possible; and not have to do a lot of figuring out for themselves.

Remember that other WIMP ( Windows / Icons / Mouse / Pointer ) environments just appear ready to use on other systems to the user. No 'sweat' involved ... :-)

I have spent a couple of hours or more ... configuring Launchpad to match my own 'windrive' contents, and the way that I want it to be used. It has got a lot of potential.

This has made my computing life with the QL / SMSQ nice and easy since. Yet many users, I am sure won't be at all bothered to do this, or even want to work out how; and it is those users that really should be a larger part of your market.

Personally, I believe that you should supply Launchpad pretty well configured for the 'average' system contents that you can best anticipate most users possessing. A well educated guess at about 20 odd icons, and at least 2 directories, for example. In that way Launchpad would be 'GO' as soon as it was set up ! Users would appreciate the potential of what Launchpad does, and can achieve for them.

Simple instructions about how to get rid of unwanted icons or alter the path names to make them work on the users own system should be highlighted.

QDT takes that approach by scanning the 'windrive' contents, so that it sets up a users system for them. It tries to take away all the 'pain' from the user !

Obviously QDT is also much more ambitious in its overall intention that Launchpad, as you say. Yet I believe you could promote Launchpad's potential even more if it were pre-configured to a much higher extent.

Because most users either don't know how or are too lazy to do all the configuring for themselves. Which then means it becomes an expert users only programme, whereas it should be easily accessible to all, or as many as possible.

Anyway, keep up the good work :-)

I use Launchpad all the time now. 'Easy peasy'. Yet I had to put the effort in to make it that way ...

--
Malcolm Cadman