In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

----- Original Message -----
From: "SMSQ - Jochen Merz"
Hi Jon,

the first USB floppy (or USB stick with floppy
functionality/bootability) becomes drive A: if
available, otherwiese drive B:

That's how it worked here on several laptops.

Unfortuately not here; maybe a win98 feature ;-)

I recall using commands in DOS to change to whatever letter.

Maybe you can manually define it in the Windows 'boot' files equivalents of Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. Although for later versions of Windows these are not as accessible.

Later Windows versions also have the 'plug and play' feature which assign drive distinguishing letters to hardware devices.

Worth having a look and seeing what the USB floppy is assigned as.

Problem with USB devices, I believe, as I haven't used them myself very much, is that if you keep plugging in and unplugging different devices it all gets into a tangle.

However, if your USB floppy is a 'permanent' feature of your set up. This should be overcome.

I have a parallel port Zip Drive that I plug into 2 different PC's. On one it is Drive D: and on the other it is Drive E: although both PC's have CD-ROMs and the same Windows version.

--
Malcolm Cadman