On  Mon, 7 Feb 2005 at 20:21:07, Phoebus Dokos wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>> That is the 'laplink' wiring I was referring to.  One can ignore the
>>DTR/DSR cabling as that does not exist on the QL/Aurora.
>> I should not have used the word 'laplink'.  It is just that I have a
>>branded laplink cable with 9D and 25D and the correct crossover
>>wiring.
>> I had no idea that there were laplink cable variants.
>
>The original LapLink software supported two port variants: Parallel and
>Serial. It also has two cable variants:
>The first is a 25D-25D which is a PARALLEL and the second one (what
>Tony  has) is a null modem Serial which came in 25D-25D (and later on
>as 9D-25D  as well as 9D-9D.)
>
>In the PC world however the world 'LapLink' routinely is identified
>with  the Parallel Version (Also usable with the DOS licensed version
>of LapLink  available from MS-DOS v.4.00 on to v.6.23) - BUT NOT PC-
>DOS.
>
>As a consequence asking for a LapLink cable you end up with a parallel
>cable which of course not only cannot work with the serial ports but
>can  potentially damage your QL.

I really don't think the leads can be confused.
The parallel laplink (25D only of course) has plugs each end.
The various serial laplink variants have sockets.

One would have to go through hoops to use the parallel cable on serial
ports.    I was only talking serial laplink cables.
I am -sure- Roy was also talking about, and using a serial 'laplink'
cable.

Incidentally connecting a parallel laplink cable to a QL serial port
would not damage the QL. The signal lines would never go to ground, as
the serial 25D ground (pin 7) is not connected on a parallel laplink
cable.
Connecting signal lines to the wrong QL signal pins cannot damage either
side - they simply wouldn't work!

Tony
--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://firshman.co.uk