> >If even the "experts" couldn't agree on the wiring of an Aurora port
> >and cable, I see it as a pointless time wasting exercice even trying.
>
> They are std PC style ports and if a ribbon cable (10 way DIL IDC one
> end and 9D IDC plug the other) is plugged onto Aurora the right way
> round (easy to do wrongly on Qubbesoft boards), then an off the shelf
> laplink cable can be used.
This is how I thought it OUGHT to work.

> If this doesn't work then either the hardware is faulty - Aurora
> motherboard or PC,  or there is a software issue.
There are so many variables involved. It's definitely an Aurora where the cable
can be inserted two ways around, but unless I get a good clear day with nothing
much else to do and no wife around to distract, I simply won't bother.

> This  hardware 'wiring' is as described by Nasta, and this is confirmed
> by looking at the Aurora manual.  I have never actually done the link
> using SER1 or SER2 myself, so I am relying  on what Nasta (and his
> manual) say. I -know- Nasta is right.
>
> The fact that Phoebus is using his link successfully with such a
> 'wiring' confirms this (8-)#
>
> What are the wiring disagreements?
> I am genuinely puzzled.
No wiring disagreements as such.

It looks like it should work. Except it doesn't. It has to be something with
the serial ports or link cables from the board to the back of the case because
the cable works between PCs, and it's the same version of Sernet. It should
work, it doesn't and apart from miswired serial ports or faulty serial ports I
can't see any reason why it shouldn't.

All I can do is wait until I get a day when I can get enough uninterrupted time
to go trough everything step by step until I can pin down what's gone wrong.

When it comes to computers, it seems nothing works first time, I spend more
time tackling problems than actually doing anything productive.