On  Wed, 9 Feb 2005 at 14:43:31,  wrote:
(ref:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>> Me, it would (dead in the tracks), but SOME laplink cables are actually
>> extension cables, which means that they are pini-to-pin D-25 female to
>> female, so others (and that would be users) it may not ;-) (Meaning stop
>> them from using these cables)
>>
>> In any case, I have seen many weird things happening such as 5 1/4" disks
>> stuffed in 3 1/2" drives, keyboards plugged in tape recorders'  sockets
>> etc... When I used to run the computer shop in Greece we would get really
>> weird requests for cables among other things... so nothing really
>> surprises me. Many people would try to extend, an already extended cable;
>> hence the weird genders etc...
>Yes, I for one couldn't have said with any degree of certainty if the
>gender of connectors on all computers were the same, and probably could
>not recall from memory even for my own PC either.

All computers certianly are not the same.

PCs though are 100% consistent.

Parallel == socket (always 25D)
Serial == plug  (9D or 25D)

> It used to be fairly simple with both computers and audio equipment -
>if there were volts present, it would be the version you couldn't touch
>(usually a socket, or a plug with well shrouded pins), but it's never
>quite that simple these days.
You mean mains volts.  Low voltage seems to have settled on centre +ve.
It wasn't in the past.

Tony

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://firshman.co.uk