In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeremy Taffel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

My position is quite simple really. I use computers for soving engineering problems, and find myself using windows (98,XP, 2000), Linux, Solaris....., but the OS is less important to me than the tools.

<clip>

So, to answer your question, I haven't put anything in for the past 12 years,

<clip>

So, I'm stuck in the QDOS past, and am curious as to whether all the enhancements overcome the limitations that I ran into back then. No doubt if I were to buy QPC2, it would be rapidly followed by QDT, as I'd need a decent desktop; But, I've got so many projects on the go, QPC2 really isn't my highest priority.

<clip>

Jeremy, with all your computer interests I am sure that you will find it even more fun now than the period that you are recalling.

Yes, there is a cost involved for the commercial programs, yet there are also lots of free software and tools too.

To get involved in the new things you will need SMSQ/E rather than QDOS, which is £32.

Then you have options to build on that as you wish.

Remember you can still use QDOS as well, so the QDOS 'past' is not lost to you.

QPAC2 Pointer Environment - mouse pointer, menus, file handler, etc, is £42.

QPC2 is £65 to start, yet then the upgrades seem to come along frequently and are mostly free.

QLAY and QEmulator are alternatives as free emulators.

If you get really enthused than you will be into QDT which is £32.

Roy Wood is giving a £10 discount on SMSQ/E if you buy both QDT and SMSQ/E at present.

Good luck with what whatever you choose to do.

I am sure that you will get inspired, and maybe even write some new software yourself ?

--
Malcolm Cadman