[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>It's geared up for people with always-on connections.
>Dial up users have to force it to update unless they happen to be online
>when AVG7 reckons it's time to update. It normally tries to update every
>2 days and normally has downloads of anything from 150K to 2MB of updates
>every time.

Well I use it at home and I'm on a broadband connection (now) which is fine. I
did use it before when I was on a dial-up link and as you note, it tends to
produce large downloads.

My version simply tells me that it is out of date and waits for me to click on
the 'update' button to do the actual updating - so I can fit it in to suit me.

My laptop has Symantec and it is configured to check at connect time for any
required updates. As I'm usually using my laptop on customer sites, I need to
be fully up to date with a 'recognised' AV system (plus firewall). I can
configue this to run on demand, but I prefer to leave it on.

The reason for all these big downloads is quite simple. Windows is a pile of
non-secure poo and there are literally hundreds of new virusses, variants on
old ones etc appearing almost every day. I've had Symantec downloads of as
little as 50Kb and as large at 4 Mb at times. There has never been a day when I
didn't have to download something.

If MS actually wrote a decent set of programs, and the OS itself, we might not
be in this situation. Linux is far far more secure and being open source, fixes
get produced pretty damned quickly.

There was a recent article in New Scientist entitles 'Not so clever now eh' (or
similar) whereby it was announced that Linux had had 24 alerts notified but
Windows only had 6. The missing information was that the Linux ones were all
already fixed, while Windows still hasn't fixed their 6 - who's clever now then
?

Still, and in an attempt to at least mention our esteemed platform of choice,
at least we don't have to worry about virusses on the QL do we ?

Apart from the one I wrote many years ago :o)

Cheers,
Norman.

    • ... Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
    • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
      • ... Dilwyn Jones
      • ... Roy wood
        • ... Tarquin Mills
    • ... Malcolm Cadman