John Hall wrote:
Derek Stewart wrote:

The DP package was not really worth the money... But I bought to
support the QL scene.

There are much better software around which is free.

The point I was trying to make was a slightly different one - the licence conditions attached to the DP bundle prevent ME from selling or giving away MY copy!
Ah, I misunderstood what you meant in your first email.

So you are saying that even though you no longer want your DP bundle and would like to sell it as second hand software the licence prevents you. Only those who bought it from DP have a right to own it...ever (or at least until any legalities expire).

I never bought the bundle (I had some of the programs, the ones I actually wanted at the time) so didn't know the licence conditions.

Bit of a problem there...Freddy's licences from authors to sell the stuff expired around the time DP left the QL scene, which was probably one of the reasons he put the bundle together, sold what he could while still entitiled to sell it, then leave the scene tidily. I don't know what Freddy put in the licence, but a smart guy like him would have thought ahead past this. Whatever people thought of Freddy, he had a shrewd business and legal sense.

We have to bear in mind of course that Freddy is not the author of many of the programs, so he probably cannot give permission to make those programs freeware or whatever. Assuming the authors held the copyright of course.

These legal niceties often mean we get bogged down when trying to free up older programs. Is it any wonder we start off with good intentions then nothing happens in the end! We might be better off putting our energies into new software instead!

    • ... John Hall
  • ... Darren Branagh
    • ... Derek Stewart
      • ... John Hall
        • ... Robert Newson
          • ... Jeremy Taffel
            • ... John Hall
          • ... Malcolm Cadman
            • ... Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος (Phoebus R. Dokos)
              • ... Malcolm Cadman
        • ... Dilwyn Jones
    • ... gwicks
      • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
      • ... Duncan Neithercut
    • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
  • ... Darren Branagh
  • ... Stuart Jones
    • ... Rich Mellor
    • ... Malcolm Cadman