Tony Church wrote:
> I am not sue that the original got through so I am resending, my apologies
> if you have already received it.
It did not arrive.

> I am trying to revive an old QL in order to retrieve some information.
>
> I believe I have every thing except a functioning key board.
>
> I made a modification to the QL (some 20 years ago) which entailed removing
> the original keyboard (the top of the QL unit)and replacing it with a cover
> which has a DIN socket with six pins, 5 on 180 degree radius and one in the
> centre.
>
> I have lost the keyboard with the DIN plug although I do have the original
> keyboard.
>
> Does anyone know of this type of modification as I cannot find nor did I
> keep any literature on the modification?  If so can you provide information
> on any of the following;
>
> Where I can get a keyboard with the DIN plug?
> Do you know the where to find the wiring details of the DIN socket?
> Can I wire the old keyboard into the DIN socket?
>
> Hope someone can help.
I have seen only one in my time, and they are quite rare and I cannot
remember who made them.  They used an interface that plugged into the
8049 socket I believe. You certainly cannot fit a std QL keyboard to it.
If you cannot find one of these then you have the following choices:

1) Refit the QL keyboard.  You would probably need a QL membrane. The
8049 is probably fitted to the internal added pcb.

2) Find a second hand IBM keyboard interface (Di-ren, Falkenberg or
superHermes (and Lite)

3) Purchase superHermes or superHermes Lite from me.

4) Send your media (microdrives I assume) to someone like me for recovery.

I assume you are simply wanting to recover data.  This could be copied
to floppy disk(s) and you could use a PC emulator to read and recover
them.  The Psion programs will run quite happily from floppy disk under
an emulator.

BTW if you recover your QL keyboard, a must is the pointer environment.
Part of that is a quick mdv copy extension of the format command -
assuming, of course, that your files are on microdrive.

Tony
- --
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://firshman.co.uk
Voice: +44(0)1442-828254 Fax: +44(0)1442-828255 Skype: tonyfirshman