Tony Firshman schreef:

> Ralf Reköndt wrote:
>> From: "Marco Vacquier"
>>
>>> @Tony F., when you visit Eindhoven next October, I may show you the
>>> second one for you to see. That is, if it resembles the keyboard as is
>>> shown on the pictures on the following link:
>>>
>>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~wij2/ehv20061014/index.html
>>> Note pictures IMG_1596.JPG,IMG_1602.JPG, and IMG_1605.JPG
>> Seems to me as it was the big SCHÖN Keyboard, which had "F1 - F10" in red on
>> the the left side and a special I/F fitted on the 8049. This wasn't a
>> standard PC keyboard. I also had such a keyboard in earlier days. After a
>> few years, there were problems with some of the keycaps, beginning not to
>> work properly anymore.
>>
> No it wasn't that one.  That fitted on the QL itself and worked
> (electronically) in the same way s the QL keyboard.
>
> There were issues:
>
> 1) The mini pcbs that fitted in the motherboard sockets made it unusable
>  for membranes - the connections were forced apart.
>
> 2) The ribbon cable wires broke easily - they were totally unreinforced.
>  Cure is hot glue to fix rigid.
>
> 3) The pcb pads oxidised causing the key problems you mention.  Curable
> by disassembling and cleaning pads with rubber.
>
> 4) There was a keybounce issue.  They 'solved' this by re-coding the
> 8049 and sold this to unsuspecting punters.  This did cure the keybounce
> issue, but killed serial input! I ought to thank them for this, as this
> prompted the Hermes development!
>
> It did though look and feel very nice (8-)#
>
> Tony

There were two types of SCHÖN Keyboards. The standard one costing 35 pounds
in 1988 and 2.00 pounds p&p. The PC type one costing 99.95 pounds and
2.50 p&p.

The standard one fitted on the QL itself, the PC one has a 5 pin Din
plug on a board that fits on top of the QL, replacing the original keyboard.

The one on the picture (now laying on my attic) looks like the PC type.
I'm looking on an advertisement by SCHÖN from 1988 right now.

It also suffers from bad responding keys, so I'll try to clean the pcb
one day.

Marco