Malcolm Cadman writes:

> Can anyone help me with using a portable Zip Drive as a source, running
> QPC, and being attached to 2 different PC's ( not at the same time ) ?
>
> On the first computer it is seen as a source - win2_ - on the second
> computer it is seen as a source - win4_
>
> The software - like QDT and Launchpad - is configured to recognise the
> win drive source as - win2_
>
> Which means when the source is seen as - win4_ - this is not correct.
>
> Also, rather than have one very long boot file to load everything, I
> have a number of small boot files that load one after the other,
> depending on what configuration I am using.
>
> Is there an easy way to preserve the value the physical source - in this
> case either as win2_ or win4_ across the different boot files ?
>
> Can DEV_USE do this ?
>
> Or an Environment variable ?
>
> At present my initial, short, boot file just gets input from the user as
> to which computer is being used, which sets "windrive$" to either be -
> win2_ or win4_
>
> However, the value is not being held when the next boot file is loaded
> with an LRUN.

Ive made a QPC2 system to run off a USB memory stick. This should be
pretty much the same for a zip disk, but I'm not sure..

On the USB disk I have the following structure:

QPC2.lnk                ; Shortcut to QPC2
-> QPC2                 ; QPC2 program directory
        QPC2.exe        ; QPC2 executable
        ..              ; other stuff
-> win1
        QXL.win ; win1_

-> win2
        QXL.win ; win2_
..

Ive configured QPC2 to use the following devices: \win1\QXL.win for
win1_, \win2\QXL.win for win2_, etc

That means that whatever drive letter Windows issues for the USB drive
QPC2 will always find my QXL.win files.

Once QPC2 is running you can use the SBasic function QPC_NETNAME$ to
find out which machine youre running under (provided youve set this
under Windows first). I have different directories for the different
platforms SMSQ/E runs under, containing the different
platform-specific configuration files such as printer drivers,
FileInfo2_cfg, MenuConf_inf, etc. On my QPC2 systems I use the net
name to tell them apart.

Thats all you really need to do to get QPC2 to work on different systems.

However, in my case I wanted to configure the Windows shortcut
(QPC".lnk as above)to be drive letter-independent too, but that only
partially worked. Perhaps someone knows a way of doing this?

I can configure the shortcut to "start in" %CD%\QPC2\ (%CD%  being a
system variable for the current directory). However the "target" and
icon locations appear, stupidly, to have to be specified exactly:
K:\QPC2\QPC2.exe. Is there a way around this?

Per