In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, P Witte
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>Malcolm Cadman writes:
>
>> Can anyone help me with using a portable Zip Drive as a source, running
>> QPC, and being attached to 2 different PC's ( not at the same time ) ?
>>
>> On the first computer it is seen as a source - win2_ - on the second
>> computer it is seen as a source - win4_
>>
>> The software - like QDT and Launchpad - is configured to recognise the
>> win drive source as - win2_
>>
>> Which means when the source is seen as - win4_ - this is not correct.
>>
>> Also, rather than have one very long boot file to load everything, I
>> have a number of small boot files that load one after the other,
>> depending on what configuration I am using.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to preserve the value the physical source - in this
>> case either as win2_ or win4_ across the different boot files ?
>>
>> Can DEV_USE do this ?
>>
>> Or an Environment variable ?
>>
>> At present my initial, short, boot file just gets input from the user as
>> to which computer is being used, which sets "windrive$" to either be -
>> win2_ or win4_
>>
>> However, the value is not being held when the next boot file is loaded
>> with an LRUN.

>Ive made a QPC2 system to run off a USB memory stick. This should be
>pretty much the same for a zip disk, but I'm not sure..

Thanks, Per.  We are a clever lot with the things that we do :-) .....
as you say a Zip drive is just another device, just like a USB.  So,
your example below is valid.

However, I am using 2 older PC's here, with WIN95, that do not have
built in USB ports - although they could still take a PCI Card for that
purpose - hence the use of portable Zip Drive.

One of the PC's also has a resident SqQuest drive - so that I can copy
between the 2 types of Removeable hard drive disks..

<Clip>

>Once QPC2 is running you can use the SBasic function QPC_NETNAME$ to
>find out which machine youre running under (provided youve set this
>under Windows first). I have different directories for the different
>platforms SMSQ/E runs under, containing the different
>platform-specific configuration files such as printer drivers,
>FileInfo2_cfg, MenuConf_inf, etc. On my QPC2 systems I use the net
>name to tell them apart.

Umm ... can you explain more about how to set up a net name ?  I've not
used that feature. That is interesting.

Going back to what I said earlier ... having more that one boot file,
one loading another, using LRUN, seems to clear the BASIC memory area of
a "windrive$" variable that I have just obtained from user input.

I was hoping for a way of preserving that value, so that the next boot
file could then use the variable.

--
Malcolm Cadman