Hi, Norman,

Older floppy drives have a switchable resistor to select the drive 0 -3
which refers to FLP1_ to FLP4_, but the modern PC HD drives have a
resistor soldered onto the drive select part of the board to permanently
select drive 1. The cable to the I/O card or motherboard has a twist in
the control lines, which allows Drive 1 and Drive 2 to be selected.

To get PC floppy disk drives to work on a QL Disk Interface i.e.
Supergold card, Gold card, a another cable is required with the drive
select wires going to Drive 0 for FLP1_ and Drive  Select 1 for FLP2_

I think I had some cables made up.

Derek