[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
>>> ... but the modern PC HD drives have a
>>> resistor soldered onto the drive select part of the board to
>>> permanently select drive 1. The cable to the I/O card or
>>> motherboard has a twist in the control lines, which allows
>>>  Drive 1 and Drive 2 to be selected.
> Aha, cable select if I remember correctly. Thanks for the reminder, I
> wasn't sure what the difference between a modern floppy drive and a 'stone
> age' one was. Cheers.

'drive 1' there is actually drive B.
DS0 - A (flp1_)
DS1 - B (flp2_)
PC drives come as DS1 (B), and the twist in the cable is to to get the A
drive.
You cannot though use the standard PC cable for the QL drives.  Roy Wood
knows how to modify a cable!

It is worth inspecting the pcb.  Some have the DS lines clearly labelled
on the pcb, with a solder jumper to DS1. These can be modified.
It is ridiculous that manufacturers assume floppy drives are only for
PCs, especially now laptops (and often PCs) come without floppy drives.

Tony

--
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://firshman.co.uk