John Gilpin wrote:
Geoff Wicks has made some very valid points in his email and I am grateful
to him for this timely prompt.

QUANTA Magazine - I did offer to edit two 3-monthly issues of QUANTA
Magazine to see us to the end of Volume 25. The first of these issues covers
August/September/October 2008 and is now in draft form awaiting proof
reading by my Co-Editor and committee approval before being sent to the
printers and/or being distributed by email. Once again, time has slipped
away and it is now obvious that we cannot get it printed and distributed to our members in time to be received before Christmas. I would consider this delay to be serious for any issue but since this one will contain "Subs Due"
notices and nomination forms for the committee elections at the AGM next
April, I have requested that the Nomination Form be made available to
download from the QUANTA Web Site from Wednesday 17th December 2008. It
should be noted that the Nomination Form asks for nominations for the posts of Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and/or Committee members. We are all aware
of the fact that our Chairman (John Mason) is standing down in April as
required to do in accordance with the constitution. Since existing officers
and committee members will be allowed to stand for the post of Chairman,
this may have the effect that the other officer's and/or committee posts may
be vacated by such a nomination and hence the wording on the form. (See
Constitution Clause 5 and sub clauses for a fuller explanation of this
ruling)

Membership Subscription Renewals - In the QUANTA Magazine referred to above,
I have written an article regarding an alternative way to pay your
subscription renewals by using our PayPal Account on line. This is now
available by clicking on the flashing button at the top Left hand corner of
the association's Web Site Home page at
   http://www.quanta.org.uk .

Members do NOT need to hold their own PayPal Account in order to use this
service and no form is required since I am notified of all the
identification details by PayPal each time a payment is made using your
Credit or Debit Card.

Membership runs for one calendar year starting in either January or July and
reasonably late renewals are accepted without penalty in order to provide
some flexibility. Similarly members are able to arrange their payments early
knowing that their subscription will run from the expiry of any current
subscription already paid. Only one renewal form is required to set up a
Standing Order on any UK bank if you prefer this method of payment and forms
are available by email or post from me for this purpose or for any other
method of payment (e.g.. cheques etc.) Please contact me at treasurer AT
quanta DOT org DOT uk.

Nominations - All proposers, seconders and nominees must hold CURRENT
Membership (full or Associate) on the date on which the nomination form is
received by the Secretary which should be no later than 1st February
preceding the AGM. (Constitution Clause 8.3 refers). The committee, being
fairly consistent, are likely to reject any nomination form which is
received after 1st February or is signed by persons who are not current
members.

With the ever increasing occurrence of fraud, QUANTA recognised the need to
devise a secure method for members from around the world to pay their
membership subscriptions and I am grateful for Geoff's comments about a year
ago which stimulated the thought processes leading to the PayPal facility

Kind regards and Season's Greetings to all (Quanta Members and non-members
alike)

John Gilpin.
QUANTA Treasurer.

Hmm - not that user friendly - I could not find the PayPal subscription link on the home page (in IE v7) - clicking on the QUANTA logo took me to the right page, but that is not very obvious for casual browsers - why not add "SUBSCRIBE HERE" to the menu on the left hand side of the screen?

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services