Similar to Norman's experience, my first BASIC was with ZX-Basic on the
ZX81, in the 1980's; as well as looking at the BASIC's from other
popular personal computers published in magazines like PCW.

I missed programming with the Sinclair Spectrum, instead it was then on
to BBC BASIC and QL SuperBASIC - both having a more satisfying
structural syntax to use, if you wanted to of course.

Halcyon days ... :-)

PS - I still enjoy programming with SuperBASIC.
I remember the move from non-structured basics on the early computers I used, typing in spaghetti loops of GOTOs and GOSUBs from those early computer books and magazines. Suddenly structured basics like BBC BASIC and QL BASIC became popular and suddenly it was easier to work out what went wrong with those listings.

I had a BBC micro and Z88 some time ago (both used BBC Basic of course) and apart from a period I'd rather forget in the 1980s writing office software for BBC micros when I worked at the Beeb, I never did very much programming on them outside of work.

Structured basics were a godsend after the messy spaghetti programming of tangled GOTOs etc on early micro$oft basics and Sinclair basics (Zx80 up to Spectrum). Many of my programs were printed in magazines in those early days and I remember many a late night phone call from frustrated readers who hadn't been able to get their typed-in listings to work. It was often easier to ask them to send me a cassette to record a copy of the listing onto rather than trying to debug over a phone, only to then find that their Zx81 failed to load from the tape to compound the problems!!!

It wasn't just PCW either - there were so many magazines in those days which carried Sinclair listings - Popular Computing Weekly, Personal Computer News, Home Computing Weekly, Personal Computing Today, Practical Computing and many others. I hate to think how much I spent on magazines in the 1980s :-(

But Malcolm is right, QL basic was so easy to learn and use even if you weren't to keen on the slowness of the QL, or the unreliable microdrives (actually, I never really had much problems with mine!). If you have to use basic at all, structured QL basic is probably as easy as any basic. It's interesting to note that amid what went on at Sinclair before the QL was launched, there have been suggestions that Superbasic might not have seen the light of day on the QL at all had it not been for Jan Jones's persistence in writing it at least partly in her own time outside of Sinclair.

Summarising how I felt about earlier unstructured basics, QL Today published a cartoon a few years ago depicting a policeman about to arrest someone who'd just assaulted a fellow QLer at a QL meeting, and the justification given was that "I was provoked constable, he used the word GOTO..."

As Malcolm says, Halcyon days ;-)