Dilwyn Jones wrote:

> Speaking of the romdisq, I wonder how practical it might be to adapt
> the romdisq drivers for Peter's card reader?
>
> [...]
>
> (b) it might conflict with Peter's "Open Source" principles.

I have no problem with commercial software, as long as there is a
dedicated author, who has motivation and knowledge to implement what I'm
interested in. Tony Tebby was such an author.

Without Tony Tebby, "open source" became a very practical requirement for
me, not a principle. My point of view was _major_ native hardware support.

An SD/MMC driver is not _that_ major, maybe it could be written without
resorting to existing free code. But in the end we're better off if it's
free and we don't have to deal with royalties or wait for registrar
permission on code changes. It makes life easier.

All the best
Peter