Oh dear! I used to have an expression for my unwillingness to carry out a requested task, or whatever. I used to reply "I'd rather stick my arm
in a mincer!".

I used it for many years, possibly irritating many people as I did so.

One day a new girl started at work in my office. I was just about to use
the expression, in her presence, when I noticed that she had an
artificial arm! I stopped using that expression there and then!

:-)

Cheers,
Norman.
I'm sure many of us have said something like this and caused offence without even the faintest intention of doing so!

My personal embarrassment of this kind was a comment about "getting legless" in the presence of an amputee. Very luckily he saw the funny side and didn't take offence...