At the risk of "teaching granny to suck eggs", and hopefully Wolfgang will forgive me, but does this help?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/TimeZone.html

There's a "getOffset" function that seems to be able to work out the correct time offset from UTC for a given locale.

Not being a Java guru, I have no idea if it works! However, I'd also wonder what happens when the time is coming in from NTP and there's a setting to "adjust for daylight savings time" - which I can't remember if Windows has.

Linux doesn't. At least, not in KDE anyway, I have my systems running with the NTP server setting the clock, and all seems well at present.

The hardware clock, on the other hand, I have no idea what it is set to.

So, we could have three problems:

* the hardware clock is wrong;
* the hardware clock is adjusting the time;
* Java is also adjusting the time;

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.