>> Is the Menu Extension SCRAP <-> (your OS) clipboard exchange a generally
>> asked-for feature?
>
> I do not know - I think it was for communication with M$ file-systems
> (useful in Linux), and M$ software (that I do not use).

I do use this facility to transfer text between Windows clipboard and Scrap
when using QL programs like QD which know how to use Scrap. I also use Marcel's
little SyncStuff SBASIC utility to copy between Scrap and hotkey stuffer buffer.

> I have used the same menu extensions as I have always used (I just use
> my old QPC boot on my normal qxl.win file) - I wasn't even aware there
> is a special QPC version (what's different?).

This is a quote from emails Jochen sent me (for news columns) a while back:

  Please note: The Menu Extension from version 7.65 onwards works only under
SMSQ/E V2 (e.g. QPC2 or systems with high-colour screen drivers). If you run
the "old" QL Pointer Environment, you should stick to your old Menu Extension.
English only (a German version of MENU_rext is also on the disc, but no German
documentation).
Plus this little note:
  A new version of Qmenu, version 8.02, is now available. The current versions
of QMenu are only licensed for use on SMSQ/E systems. The previous version had
a small bug, however, in that it tested for QPC, not SMSQ/E.

So it would appear that there was at least one version which explicitly tests
for QPC rather than SMSQ/E.

> Could you change it to "HBA-S" perhaps?
A lot of programs (rightly or wrongly) test for SMSQ/E and Minerva explicitly
with testing for VER$ = HBA and JSL1 respectively. This would risk throwing
those programs, perhaps.

Dilwyn