On 19/10/2013 20:16, Dilwyn Jones wrote:

A celebratory event would be great if we could find a suitable venue, not too expensive and could be certain of visitors. Rich has suggested the Computer Museum as a venue and it's the closest we've got to one, I think. It needn't necessarily be a Quanta event, Rich has mentioned the possibility of organising it himself if his health allows and someone was able to help him: time to privatise a Quanta workshop perhaps?

Unfortunately, with my partner's ill health over the last year (hi Ann!) , my commitment to Quanta has been a bit less than I'd like it to be) over the past few months, and I haven't been involved with the workshops planning at all apart from the odd email in response to Rich's efforts.

The only other way to run an event like this is to find a smaller affordable function room, perhaps do a QL History type of display again, plus any other celebratory little events we could think of. But we've been there before of course. I'd like a special event to occur less year, but I'm uneasy about whether it could become value for money and best use of funds if the will and commitment wasn't there for it to stand a good chance of success.
So let's try picking up the pieces and seeing what could be done.

1: The idea of the Computer Museum would be great, but it is too expensive. Probably the best bet would be a one day event in a hotel function room. That would solve any catering problems. (But we should check on their hygiene ratings. The Allesley scores a 2/5 and the much vaunted Pond Quay habitually a 1/5).

2: The event could be combined with the Quanta AGM, but it would not be necessary. Provided it is held in Manchester Quanta can easily organise an AGM without a show. A event later than April would give us more planning time.

3: We would need to think about a program with something more than an exhibition. One thing I would like to see is getting some of the movers and shakers together to discuss how we should handle the post-QL Today world. Also we should bear in mind the possibility of Quanta being wound up. I think this could be a possibility in 2015.

4: Let's not get too hung up about a low attendance. It will be what happens at the show more than numbers attending that will be important.

5: I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for Quanta funding up to £1,000. After all they still had £7,869 in the bank at the end of 2012. And recently that have been willing to spend £692 on a non-functioning website.

Best Wishes,

Geoff