----- Original Message -----
From: Phoebus Dokos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: [ql-users] QPC2v2 again

Hehe I kind of anticipated this email Geoff (although I don't know you
personally I do admire your work).
It wasn't directed to you directly but yours was the first name to come in
my mind.

No offence taken. I realised you were making a generalisation, and
flattering to know I was the first name to come into mind!

The point I wanted to make is that we are a "Broad Church" in the QL
Community. That is, we embrace a wide range of people and opinions. To
survive we have to have a high degree of tolerance. We need both QPC and the
Q40 as well as those people who buy neither new hardware or software.

Personally I have no interest in the Q40, but I recognise Peter's
achievement. As I write in the next QL Today, many people feel the Q40 has
helped to arrest the decline in the QL.

Perhaps a better example than Just Words! software would be the future
internet capabilities of the QL. Is there much sense in running QL internet
software on a PC emulator? (Hope this sets off a fierce discussion!).

Finally, another important point. In one sense Marcel has it easier than
Peter. The infrastructure for software is already there in the form of the
QL and PC. A hardware developer often has to produce his own infrastructure,
no easy task with instability in component prices, the need to find a
manufacturer and difficulties in international currency transactions. Small
wonder the Q40 has had logistical and financial problems beyond Peter's
control.

Geoff Wicks.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.tripod.co.uk/geoffwicks/justwords.htm