On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 at 17:23:34, Peter Graf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
(Ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>Bill wrote:
>
>>Presently I run a Q40 and a PC sharing a Sony monitor and epson printer
>>, no switchboxs required, the monitor has two inputs and its own switch
>>for selection, the printer runs on USB from the PC and Parallel from the
>>Q40
>
>Very good idea.
>
>>only one proviso the printer must be off when you switch on the Q40
>>else the Q40 will not boot properly ( why?)
What exactly goes wrong?  Do you get initial screen blanking, and then
nothing (I wish TT did a splash screen!).

Describe exactly, because, like the QL, the various faults have very
recognisable sequences.

A really nice effect is when absolutely nothing happens.  The Q40 screen
memory stays there for a time, even when power is off.  I was very
mislead sometimes when testing Q40 boards.  I got a running Q40, which
locked up.  I powered down, and on immediate power up, I got an
immediate #1.#2, #0 screen but with the odd corruption - of course all I
was seeing was the last video ram content.

>I don't know the IO card Qbranch delivers with the Q40. I remember there
>were printer IRQ problems with the card and SMSQ/E. So maybe you should
>check if the PAR IRQ jumper is removed. If not, remove it.
Cannot be that, as the Q40 would _never_boot.  The IRQ problem was card
related, not printer.  The problem (please correct me Peter (8-)#  ) was
that the IRQ from the card was pulsed, but Q40 required a longer
(continuous?) IRQ.  The relevant IRQ was 7.
--
           QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk