> There is another possibility and that is to use Freetype... (the source of
> which is downloadable and I had some success when I toyed with it although
> my C knowledge is hmmmmm limited). ( www.freetype.org  IIRC). The latter
> has three major advantages:

If you try to compare this to ProWesS please have a look at font sizes files
first (the reason why ProWesS doesn't use plain Type 1 files) and also the
size of the renderer. I am sure you will find ProWesS to be much more
compact. Plus the need to develop screen and printer drivers, handle colour
issues etc. Also, when I last looked, freetype was merely a renderer, not
including a caching mechanism (which is essential for acceptable speed).
Going this route would presumable be very time intensive. I would rather
suggest going the ProWesS route. However, I have no idea about render
quality for freetype (how good the hints are interpretted). If freetype is
better or truetype support is needed, it would be better in blend freetype
in ProWesS.

Joachim
--
Joachim Van der Auwera