> >That sounds pretty horrible to me :o(
> I repeat....
> This is _exactly_ how the chips are designed.
> They have the same pin layout as the GC/SGC memory chips, but are
> longer.
>
> Not horrible in the slightest (8-)#
It's a chip package I've never encountered before; I accept the pin
layout is as designed. I just got the impression they had been
re-shaped to fit the sockets because the socket diameter is so large
that they could not have been positioned any closer together (they look
like individual single-pin sockets, but now I know it is a standard
layout, they are probably all joined together in that shape).

No, they are not horrible, they are exquisite (perhaps they are even
available in a range of pretty colours) ;O)  :)

Phew, I'm glad the Q40 is at home - it would probably refuse to ever
work again if it knew we were using words like 'horrible' in reference
to it!

I'll take out all the video RAM chips and reseat them.

Quick question on a related matter while I'm here:
How can I make an ATX PSU supply power to the Q40 with its normal
mainboard connector disconnected, i.e. not receiving its wakeup signal?

Ian.

related financial instruments.