> On  Thu, 14 Mar 2002 at 17:05:48,  wrote:
> >the carpet building up the voltage.  I've been trying to think of a way
> >to charge a battery off her, a kind of homemade cat-powered UPS...

Hmmm. A neighbour of mine, here in Houston, TX, has built his own unique
(for a home-made dwelling system) power system.

Three 4' x 8' solar powered steam generators (tanks with water and black
metal panels in them to absorb solar energy and heat the water they lay
in) with plumbing to a pump connected to a generator, which feeds through
diodes into a power controller and storage. He does need to use a few kwh
of electricity in winter (in TX that's two months) and generates surplus
power in summer, even after running the air conditioning of the house.

It cost him about $4000 to cobble up, and will pay for itself in under 3
years.

And he always has plenty of hot water too.

For on-topicness, he monitors and controls it with an Atari ST, which has
a 68000 processor. :o)

Dave