Ok, I have kept pretty much to myself over the past couple of weeks, taking onboard the various comments and arguments flying around this list.

What we need now is to try and bring this all to an end so that all QL users can benefit as soon as possible.

The best way forward would be to list the original license and identify where the contentious points lie and which parts are agreed - I think there are probably only 2 or 3 points in the licence which are causing all these arguments.  We don't need comments on what people think about the contentions at this stage, just identify what they are, to form a definitive list.

However, my thoughts are as follows:-

1) Distribution - The licence needs to allow for distribution by the registrar (only) by email or web-site, probably with some form of PGP encoding for binaries.  No other distribution of binaries is to be allowed other than by authorised resellers or by registered developers for testing purposes (yes, I think that anyone developing changes to the core need to be registered).  Module development would not be caught under this,  and the module developers could do as they please.

2) Contrary to (1) above, anyone should be free to distribute a demo version of SMSQ/E binaries, subject to the restriction that demo versions must not allow saving to disk in any form (and possibly other restrictions to be specified).  This would assist UQLX (and other) development, as interested users would be entitled to upgrade to the full version of SMSQ/E if interested, as with QPC2.

3) The mechanics of adding commercial developments to the core is not really that much of a nightmare, provided the resllers send all royalties to Wolfgang and he then distributes it between all commercial contributors (including TT) as required.  This is easy to envisage, as I am not too certain whether changes to the file system and graphics for Aurora would be that easy to implement as a separate module and I am sure that these are developments that users would be willing to pay X pounds to get!!

However, use of modular commercial developments should be encouraged where possible due to the reason set out below.

The problem here remains with the free distribution of the sources - although you can envisage an occasion where the developer can tell Wolfgang that the sources to this commercial element must not be distributed (this could only happen where the commercial part formed an INCLUDE file for the assembled sources), there is always
the possibility that the commercial development would be such that the source for SMSQ/E core could not be distributed without this commercial element being available for all to see!! That would be the risk and decision taken by the developer as to how they implement changes.

4) Support - The resellers cannot and should not commit themselves to free upgrades for life.  However, unless a commercial development to the core has taken place, there seems no reason why they should not continue in the current vein and only charge a minimal fee for their time spent copying the disk.  Resellers should be free to sell whatever versions of SMSQ/E they want to - after all, I am sure Peter Graf (and D&D) would not want to get involved in selling QPC upgrades or SMSQ/E for Aurora, as they are geared up to supplying SMSQ/E on a ROM for the Q40s/Q60s they produce.  On the other hand, Roy and Jochen may want to offer upgrades for Q40/Q60 users to allow easier access to upgrades.  That would be their own decision.

Ok, what are the other contentious and non-contentious points ??

Rich Mellor
RWAP Software
7 Common Road, Kinsley, Pontefract, West Yorkshire, WF9 5JR
TEL: 01977 614299
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/rwapsoftware