John Sadler wrote:

>All your problems would be solved if you use the LGPL license, if the soure
>and code is going to be free.
>Anybody would be able to sell comercial programs using the updated SMSQ/E
>code.
>Official versions would still have to be ratified by the appropiate person.

Yes, I think LGPL would do, but even that isn't necessary.
Under GPL, the copyright holder defines what *linking* means.
E.g. he could add this to the GPL copyright notice:

  As a special exception, if *other* files instantiate templates or use macros
  or inline functions from this file, or you compile this file and link it
  with other works to produce a work based on this file, this file does not
  by itself cause the resulting work to be covered by the GNU General Public
  License. However the source code for *this* file must still be made
  available in accordance with section (3) of the GNU General Public
  License.

This way an emulator software, or other parts of SMSQ/E could be *strictly*
commercial, could use all the templates they need, without falling under
the GPL.
Moreover, it could even be linked into the same binary or ROM.
(Which is not necessary in our case.)

That's how it's done in embedded computing.

Peter

  • ... John Sadler
    • ... Peter Graf
    • ... Richard Zidlicky