In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Roy Wood
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Dave P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
><SNIP>

>>The issue I take with it is this notion that all versions of SMSQ/E must
>>be identical. I think this is not in SMSQ/E's best interest because it
>>discourages development.
>We never said they have to be identical just 'coherent'. Code that works
>on all platforms should be common and code that is specific need not.
>The thing is that all calls to platform specific code should be handled
>by the other platforms without a crash and the whole O/S should maintain
>integrity. This can only be done if the code is controlled and that is
>the post the Wolfgang has taken on. We all want development we also want
>it to work.

There seems to be some confusion around SMSQ/E's 'core' and its
'flavours'.

It seems to me that Wolfgang has taken on the onerous task of
maintaining the integrity of SMSQ/E so that it remains consistent and
coherent, and that all users - irrespective of platform - get access to
all the 'new' features.

So the 'core' remains robust and crash-proof on all platforms, whilst
the 'flavours' can take advantage of the platform's own features.

Hence SMSQ/E - with any new official version - will run on my Black Box
QL + Gold Card, without any problems.  Yet certain features will not be
avialable because the platform simply doesn't support them.

The same new official version of SMSQ/E will run on my Pentium PC with
QPC2 v3, without any problems.  Yet will be able to take advantage of
certain new features.

... and so on for various hardware/software combinations.

Perhaps this warrants a full article in QL Today, and a brief posting on
this list.

--
Malcolm Cadman
  • ... John Sadler