On 24/07/02 at 13:06 Marcel Kilgus wrote:

>ZN wrote:
>> Regrading portrait monitors, oddly enough some of the newest ATI
>> Radeon cards for the PC will generate a 90 deg rotated picture, and
>> mirrored, too.
>
>Does it do it in hardware? I quite like using my TFT in portrait mode,
>but the translation software slows down some things too much (like
>QPC).

Software, I'm almost sure - I'm not certain about overlays as there is so
much involved with getting them on the screen in the first place, it might
well do that in hardware. I will try it when I have some time. It's not
perfect - for instance, when I accidentally activated the option, the
window that did that ended up off screen. I quessed it wasx one of those
'accept: yes/no' boxes so pressed esc, and luckily it came went back to
normal.

IF your TFT has portrait mode (I can see how this can be great for
programming, as listings tend to be much longer than they are wide :-) ),
you may want to investigate operation without translation. TFT horizontal
and vertical drivers are literally the same kind of chip - they have pins
to tell them which way to work. Some TFT tilt monitors are aware of this
and use the feature, but require the graphics card to be capable of
generating a portrait style resolution (e.g. 768x1024 instead of 1024x768).
In other words, it keeps scanning left to right even in the portrait
position, not bottom to top as when transaltion is done in software and the
screen tipped. Monitors that do this will attempt to display a (sometimes
squashed) lanscape picture across the middle of the screen (with big black
borders on top and bottom) when rotated (or otherwise set) in portrait
mode, without the computer knowing it.

Nasta